As I’ve shared with so many of our readers, clients, and colleagues, Colibri Digital Marketing is in the process of becoming a B Corp.
What is a B Corp?
As stated on the B Corp website, B Corps are:
for-profit companies certified by the nonprofit B Lab to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency.
Today, there is a growing community of more than 1,600 Certified B Corps from 42 countries and over 120 industries working together toward 1 unifying goal: to redefine success in business.
As a business owner, I am especially excited about redefining success in business. As a woman-owned, LGBTBE-certified business, I want business success to be defined by inclusion and by a level playing field for all business owners. And, I want inclusion to refer as well to our home, the earth.
Why Are B Corps Important?
Colibri Digital Marketing is committed to leading our industry and the small business community as a whole in minimizing the negative impacts of its activities on the environment while developing and implementing social and environmental policies that ensure everyone feels safe, healthy, and welcome within our communities. By becoming a B Corp, we join a movement and amplify our impact.
By making our strategies and tactics transparent, we hope to inspire other businesses and invite input as well. Please take a read and see what we are up to. If you have ideas or inspirations for improvements, don’t hesitate to reach out.
Our Environmental Strategy
The key points of our strategy to achieve this are:
- Share information about virtual agency environmental best practices with the Colibri Digital Marketing team to encourage same.
- It is our policy to minimize the use of and encourage proper disposal of eWaste, especially batteries (our main source of eWaste).
- Minimize waste by evaluating operations and ensuring they are as efficient as possible.
- Minimize toxic emissions by using transportation (when it’s necessary) that is low-impact (walking, taking public transportation) when possible and use carbon offsets when travel is necessary.
- Actively promote recycling and conservation both internally and amongst our customers and suppliers.
- Source and promote products and services that minimize the environmental impact of both production and distribution.
- Meet or exceed all the environmental legislation that relates to Colibri Digital Marketing.
Our Social Strategy
Colibri Digital Marketing also has strategies in place to enhance the social well-being of our local and global communities.
The key points of our strategy to achieve this goal are:
- Participate as a member of the Golden Gate Business Association (GGBA) and National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC), which are local and national LGBT business advocacy organizations.
- Provide financial support to nonprofits.
- Actively seek to provide marketing services to B Corps, nonprofits, local businesses, and LGBT businesses.
- Work with vendors from diverse backgrounds who support our mission.
Part of the B Corp assessment includes transparency in the actions we take and how we measure success (our key performance indicators (KPIs).
Here is a list of the actions we have taken in 2016 and what we will continue to measure:
- Membership in the Golden Gate Business Association (GGBA) and the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC)
- Financial contributions to Children’s International
- Financial contributions to Hip Hop for Change
- Financial contributions to Raise Hope for Congo
Total contributions per month: $103
- Volunteer at San Francisco Green Film Festival (in-kind donation of digital marketing services valued at $3,000).
- Purchase carbon offsets for marketing team travel (to be determined at the end of fiscal year 2016).
- Encourage subcontractors to participate in positive social and environmental impact (I have shared our policy statement with the team and solicited input).
- Purchase 100% renewable energy for my home and to power my computer and phone using PG&E’s Solar Choice program.
- Maintain a paperless office
At the end of each year we will publish a blog post that summarizes our environmental and social impact. I expect that as we learn and grow as a B Corp, that we will improve continuously and increase our impact.
As a San Francisco-based virtual agency with a paperless office, our environmental impact is low and as a woman-owned, certified LGBTBE we are making a difference in the social arena as well. We are proud to live in a city that is committed to sustainability and thrilled that there is a B Corp movement that allows businesses like ours to have a voice.
We want to be thought of as your go-to environmental and social impact digital marketing agency and that starts with B Corp certification.
We’d love to talk B Corp! Reach out to Anna Colibri at anna @ colibridigitalmarketing dot com or via Twitter @annacolibri. Or click on the button below to schedule a complimentary digital strategy session.
This article was originally published at colibridigitalmarketing.com and republished here with permission from Anna Colibri.